Sunday, October 30, 2011

Are We There Yet???

How often did you say that as a kid or hear that as a parent?

Saturday morning we were at the Tucson airport ready for our adventure!
We got on our flight to Atlanta, got settled in, both opening our kindles delving into 
the lovely treat of being able to read a book in the middle of the day.

An hour later we were asked to deplane. A leak somewhere in the wing.
All of the passengers got in line, as all 200 needed to be rerouted.
We were near the end of the line. 

Tucson is a small airport. There are not a lot of choices out on a Saturday afternoon and it was getting later and later. I needed to get an answer, our connecting flight on Air France was the last long haul out of the country because they were on strike as of yesterday. I got out of the line and went out of security to ticketing.

I was able to walk up to the counter,the advantage of a small airport and no other passengers had gone down.The first thing out of the agents mouth we can get you out November 3 when the strike is over.
Thank goodness I had researched tickets for this trip. I knew what airline was going where and when. With the strike all the flights still going over were full and with the snowstorm on the East coast flights were booked full.I was able to help the agent with the airlines I knew and she put us on a flight that could get us out on Sunday.

An hour later we were on a flight to Salt Lake City then another to LA. All flights had been booked Tucson to LA, it's normally an one and a half hour flight.So it was a bit round about .They put us up in a hotel in Torrence, all hotels were full because of the Quantas strike, gave us meal vouchers  and shuttle vouchers. We were in the hotel by 10:30pm. Twelve and one half hours later then when we had arrived at the Tucson airport. 

We fly out today at 4:15 on Alitalia.
During this whole process we both remembered to breathe and the mantra was it's part of the adventure, it's a part of the process. Be kind to those agents they were working so hard. It was not their fault for the mechanical problems...
I am very thankful we are only one day later to Italy. A couple on the flight were also flying through Paris on their way to Germany for a cruise down the Rhine. The Cruise was leaving the next day. No window of time for delays.
 We filed that information, leave enough time for delay.

Go with the's all part of the adventure!

We are almost there!!


If not now, when?

No comments:

Post a Comment